Monday, September 4, 2017

Body work and paint done (mostly)

Sadly, I lost a few months of photos with a phone reset (corrupted backup, meh!).


Prepping for transport down to the paint stripper...



 
Aaaaand like magic, it's all done!

The body and other parts at my friend's shop. Work has progressed on the body parts at this point. Lots of little dings and such, plus apparently inferior body work done on some panels in the distant past that Paul addressed.

A lot of body work is in the cards. 



















To my surprise, Paul is hot to get my car done and out of his shop - he needs the room! I was expecting to be waiting on this for some months. So the first few body pieces - hood, trunk, front fenders - come home via our respective vehicles.


The fenders now keep my beer cellar stash company. Cat for scale.

Not so long later, Paul texts me. "Hey I'm ready to get your body out of my shop on Saturday". It's Thursday. Oboy. So I scramble to find the relevant pieces to attach the front subframe and rear axle back onto the body, so we can roll it around on wheels.







Folks on the Ponton group suggest throwing 2x4s in between the body and the rear axle for support, seeing as the thrust arms (well, one - the other is giving me fits) are off and there's no putting the springs/shocks back in for proper support. The rear end is a little bow-legged but it works like a champ!





And that's where I am currently. The body is back in my garage. Paul still has the doors (I think he was in a bit of a hurry and painted them without really examining them for dings - he's redoing those and I'll be collecting them soon). I'll be extracting the front subframe and rear axle again and putting the body back up on jackstands. I expect my next big project will be disassembly of said subframe and axle, to get the main structural parts out to be cleaned up. Paul mentioned that since the springs are nearly sixty years old, they may have "sag" and need replacing - I'll be researching this. I'd rather not have more parts to buy on top of the billion bits of rubber and all the replacement hardware I'll be bleeding money to acquire over the next year or so. I'll also be getting some paint that Paul suggested to cover the interior of the body, the trunk and engine compartment. That'll be a long arduous task with a paintbrush - he mentioned buying an airbrush and cutting the paint a bit so it flows through, I may well go that route!

1 comment:

  1. Paul did a wonderful job rebuilding the vehicle. It looks like more work is needed but I'm pretty sure you'll see progress quickly. You just have to be a little more patient. I, too, have an old car that I want to restore, but my friends kept on telling me that I should just buy a new one. Well, I already did but I still want that old car fixed somehow.

    Madonna Gentry @ SVS Autocare

    ReplyDelete