Wednesday, February 17, 2010

New heater boxes on the way.

I just placed an order for a pair of those high-zoot heater box reproductions (see previous post). Pricy, but it's the one part of the car I've discovered that is really best to outright replace.

And since my plan is to end up with a car that is (re)built to last a good while, I figure trying to find original heater boxes in decent condition would be simply putting off the inevitable, as they'd *still* be made of cardboard. Meh.

Now, I just need to find a couple of pieces that I'm missing for that right-side assembly. Some of *those* parts are expensive as well, but I think I'll have much better luck finding used pieces in good condition for far cheaper.

4 comments:

  1. What are you missing? Maybe I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to do some investigating to be sure, but I'm pretty sure all I need are the two tube-like pieces from the front end of the heater box to the vent coming from behind the bumper. One is rubber, the other I'm unsure of, except that it's VERY expensive from MB.

    If you have the old dealer parts book PDF or similar, it's items #2 and #4 on the "Heating and Ventilation" diagram.

    I recall seeing the screen (#26) still attached on the end of the vent, and I have the clamp (#25) that goes over the forward end of the heater box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry, but I can't help you with those parts. You are going strong I can see. Good luck!!

    Dag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chatting with a neighbor who is an old Mercedes nut, and who recently acquired a 219... I suspect the rubber tube between the connecting fitting (housing the blower) and the air vents at the front is something that can be faked using some other similar products.

    The other bits, however, not so much. I'm hoping I can find that connecting fitting and/or blower in good shape from someone. I still have hopes that those bits are somewhere in the piles of loose parts that my cousin sent along with the car. I'm going to go digging around in boxes today and see what I can find, now that I have a much better idea what I'm looking at, and what I'm looking *for*.

    I found one guy offering two sets connecting fittings and one blower, but the blower looked to be in sad shape.

    ReplyDelete