Monday, February 8, 2010

Wood door trim removal

I took a little time a few minutes ago and decided to tackle removing the wood trim around the door windows.


Here's the rear driver's side door, before...


...and after!

All that's involved is the removal of a few screws - one at the flat area at the corner of each door (very left bottom of these shots, which is just outside of the photo) and four screws around the inside of the trim - one on each side and two more spaced out across the top. One also needs to remove the door lock knobs - they just screw right out.


The complete set of door trim, with the screws/door lock knobs bagged up.

One issue I've got to deal with is the removable ash trays for the rear doors. One came out just fine, but the other is stuck fast. I can see that the stuck one is bent a little bit. Earlier in the day, I took a hammer and tapped the bottom of the ash tray for a while, hoping to dislodge/nudge it out, but no luck. Maybe it'll be easier to get out with the trim removed - we'll see. No hurry on that front.


All the mounting screws and door lock knobs.

It wasn't until I pulled these back out and counted (to ensure I hadn't left any bits behind) that I discovered the four slightly-longer screws. I'm guessing these are used in the flat corner areas.

My door lock knobs have also seen better days. You can't see from this photo, but the Bakelite caps on the tops are all missing. I'll be sniffing around the intarwebs to see if I can find some replacements in good shape - otherwise I'll likely have to buy new, assuming they're available.

Next task on my list is to start in on the door panels. I'll likely jump on those later in the day, after work.

2 comments:

  1. Be careful storing your doorframes. They may twist if you store them for a long period loose. And they may crack in the corners. Been there, done that...

    Dag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the best way, position-wise, to store them? Flat, one assumes?

    ReplyDelete