Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More photos - this time from underneath!

Just got home from the shop a little while ago. I tripped down to see what was what, and took my camera (well, forgot the camera the first time, went back for it - fortunately the shop is five minutes from home).

The tank is now off. There are bolts that are used to attach the metal lines to the tank itself - but these bolts are apparently frozen. So, they just clipped the metal lines themselves. Plan is to seal these back up once the tank is ready to go back in. Don't ask me how. Rubber bits around the outside are involved, I believe.




The frozen bolts.

Rubber hoses (clipped partway through, the remaining bits still on the car) for the vent/bleeder lines.

The inside of the tank. Nas-TY! :(

Speaking to my cousin today (who, oddly enough, called me while I was on my way back to the shop), I pressed him on just how long the car *had* sat... initially he told me "a couple of years"... that story has now been amended to "four or five years". Uh-HUH. :/

While the car is up on the rack, I took the opportunity to snap a lot of photos from beneath.


The rear axle boot. See that gap at the top? Yeah... not supposed to be there. :/

This is the source of that huge puddle of oil that magically appeared beneath the car - right below this area - just after the car was transported out here and warmed back up.



Rear differential, which is out of line. It should be ok to drive - mechanic tells me it'll make noise. But this is probably one of the first things I'll try and address once I have the car back in my garage.





Right rear wheel - both bushings are shot. Fifty year old car, what else would you expect?


Same with left rear wheel bushings.


Probably (and hopefully) the worst of the rust on the body. This is just below the driver's side door.

But, the front end is in good shape. My cousin some years back had some bits replaced and work done:



Left and right front wheels, from the rear.




Left and right front wheels, from the front.

A few more photos of various bits:






One of the first things I'll be doing is getting under the car and doing some basic cleanup... lots of gunky greasy residue all over the place.

2 comments:

  1. Scott,don't drive on those diff mount rubbers. They are seriously worn out and will make the car dangerous to drive. It's not a major job to change them and you will be far happier with the car when driving. Get the Mechanic to drop the diff,replace the pivot bush and boot at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's that? I assume one of the Ponton group folks :)

    Current mechanic is disinclined to get into that substantive a job on such an old car. See my reply on the Ponton group.

    I don't intend to drive this car hardly at all anyhow, not until I get this whole back end resolved. I may just drive it home (about five miles) and that may be it for the duration.

    ReplyDelete