Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Wednesday? Shyah!

Ok, so last week when my shop guy told me he expected to be done with the Merc by the following Wednesday - I was hopeful, but still skeptical.

Looks like skepticism wins!

His plan was to push the car into the shop this past Friday to pull the tank off. He's just now getting to that - Tuesday morning.

Apparently he's having some issues removing the fuel line - not a big surprise, it's likely been there for fifty-one years. I also asked him to take a look at the rear axle boot (on the advice of the Pontoneers), and indeed, it is shot. In fact, considering it's right over where that gigantic puddle of oil magically appeared the day after the car arrived and was able to warm back up in my garage... mystery solved. :D

So, today I order a new boot kit (a split boot, so it can be attached without disassembling anything) and possibly (likely) a new fuel line. Going to get them shipped semi-priority - not looking to wait another five weeks.

Considering the tank is just coming off today, it'll be a few days before it gets hauled to this other shop to be cleaned out, coated, and returned. I doubt I'll be seeing the car until next week now, if then.

No comments:

Post a Comment