Friday, July 29, 2011

Tail light housing removal

Last year, I started working on removing the tail light hardware. I had done the easy parts - removed the cover, disconnected the wiring, got the guts out. All good up to that point.

The main housing itself attaches to the fender via a post passing through and fastened down inside the fender with a rubber and metal washer and a nut. When attempting to remove this nut from the left tail light housing, the post snapped clean off, flush with the washer. I made some cursory attempts to continue at that point but moved onto to other things.

Today I jumped back on this task. I first tried taking a pick and hammer and tapping at the broken post, hoping to poke it loose - no go. At this point I started working a small flathead under the edge of the seal, thinking perhaps the rubber was sticking to the fender surface. Again, not the case.

In working this flathead in and trying to wiggle things loose in various spots, I saw that the bottom end of the housing was starting to crack a bit. Considering the not-so-sturdy nature of the material its made of, I figured it was doomed, so I wasn't too concerned about getting it out intact. And sure enough, the bottom part of the housing cracked clean off at one point.


I had noticed this whitish-gray material coming out in bits while working the flathead up around the bottom side of the housing - at this point, it's obvious that this stuff covers a fair bit of real estate i the area.

Continuing at it with the flathead, I manage to get the rubber seal loose, enough that except for a small portion that is stuck beneath the housing edge and tears off, the seal comes away. Another piece I'd be looking at replacing anyway, along with the vast majority of rubber on the car.


With the seal removed, there's more of a gap between the edges of the housing and the fender, and I'm able to get more traction with the flathead. Another couple of minutes of wiggling and pushing on all sides, and the housing body comes free.


I'm guessing that it is this corrison or whatever that had the death grip on the housing. 


Quite a bit of it in there. Here's a closer shot of the fender with the crap still present.


And here's the fender after I've spent a few minutes poking at this stuff with a flathead and a pick. Big difference! It was fairly thick on the level area. Big chunks were coming away as I worked at it.


 Now that I know what to expect, I tackle the right tail light housing. Again, the post snaps clean off inside the fender. But there's no corrosion buildup on the right side, and the housing and seal pop right off, hardly any effort!


I'm definitely going to have to replace the left side housing. The right side may be salvagable. It all depends on whether or not I can get the remnants of that post removed without issue. If not, looks like I'll need two housings. :/

Edit: Well, it appears that the post should screw out of the back of the one good housing, if I can get it out. May have to work at it. But, I've worked a nice little deal with a fellow about a half hour away, who has a 190 and a 219 sitting in his back yard - going to get housings, the bulb mount pieces, and covers in very nice condition for a nice price! I may end up buying some other parts from this fellow as well, as it's likely he's going to be having those two cars hauled off sometime soon - will need to get while the getting's still gettable, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment