Sunday, October 10, 2010

Other updates

Lately I've connected with a couple more fellows on the Ponton list: Harry in California (mentioned a few posts earlier) and Jeff in Massachusetts.

Harry's got a '58 220S that he's willing to sell me some parts from. My plan right now is to buy several pieces from him:

* Both entrance sills (to cover the rusted out outer trim mount holes, and the driver's side rusted step area)
* A partial set of outer door/sill trim (that will, with the partial set I currently have, make a complete set)
* Both front fenders (the headlight areas on mine are both degraded, plus I have some body damage on the left fender - the headlight areas are more important)

The fun bit will be getting the fenders from Los Angeles to here in Denver. I'm pondering going the Craigslist route - they have a rideshare section, for people who are driving from X to Y, and looking for a passenger to help share costs - or folks looking to be a passenger. I may just post a note on there when the time comes, looking for someone heading this way who has spare cargo space to haul the fenders. The other options are have them shipped, or simply roadtrip down and pick them up. It's only a thousand miles each way...

Jeff is a fellow who recently posted on the Ponton list that he had found a scrap yard in his general vicinity (well, an hour away from him, he says) that has several old Pontons in varying condition. I've gotten the contact info of the yard owner from him, and will be contacting him this week. Jeff also mentioned another fellow he's met who has three Pontons he's looking to part out. I may have to inquire on this front as well.

Jeff was kind enough to travel to this yard and snap a lot of photos:

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad313/plumbumponton/Ponton%20Parts%20Cars/?action=view&current=a2d41237.pbw

From these cars, I'm hoping to acquire a few goodies: the tail lights off the baby blue car (photo #10) and a steering wheel off either of two cars (photos #53, or #40). I'm also hoping to snag a full set (off various cars) of intact door lock posts - ones that still have the black rounded bakelite caps in place. My posts in OK shape, but missing those caps. I know, cosmetic, but it's one of those things, y'know?

No comments:

Post a Comment