Monday, October 25, 2010

Ventilator insect screen/lining removal

While removing the front panel, I managed to dislodge some more dirt out of the ventilator air scoops, so I figured while I'm in the neighborhood... let's get these cleaned out.


A photo up inside the driver's side scoop. Dirt, leaves, and the remains of the liner.


First task is to remove the insect screens at the rearward ends of the air scoops. They're held in place with wingnuts. They refuse to budge until I get a pair of pliers out and give them a twist. One comes out easy - the other, sadly, snaps off. I'll have to drill the remains out.


And out it comes. And now the sheer amount of crap that has accumulated in the scoop is more evident.


Insect screen. Aside from a small hole in the middle, it appears to be in good shape. The passenger side screen is a bit better off.


Once the screens are out, it's easier to push the detritus out from the rear end of the scoop, and to pull the old liner material away where it's still glued. This is the pile of crap that was in the driver's side scoop.


The passenger side scoop is equally occupied.


Fortunately, the liner material in the passenger side scoop came away largely intact - I'm holding onto it so I can use it as a pattern later to fashion liners from new material.


The insect screens also had some strips of simliar material glued on each side where it meets the scoop - padding to prevent vibration and noise, I figure. Also holding onto a set of these to use as patterns later.

No comments:

Post a Comment