Monday, November 30, 2009

AUUGGHH TECHNOLOGY

Yesterday I signed up for a freebie subscription to MB's EPC - Electronic Parts Catalog. This is apparently a treasure trove of info on these cars - all the parts listed, exploded illustrations, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

The trick is, it's a Java Web Start app. Not a problem in general, except for me.

1) It errors out on my Macs.
2) Running it on my emulated Windows install on my Mac kinda works, but there are major graphical issues.

Next step is to do a straight-up Windows install on my Mac laptop using Boot Camp (a way to set up a Mac to be dual-boot, Mac OS and Windows). I'd like to set it up using WinXP, which I have - but I need an install disc that has Service Pack 2 as part of the install. My install discs pre-date SP2. GRRRR.

So I'm hoping I can find a friend nearby with an newer install disc I can borrow for this install...

No comments:

Post a Comment