Monday, November 23, 2009

First things first - get the car running!

Today, I found what I think will be a good shop in my area to take the Merc to, as far as getting it running again. I called them up this morning and asked if they worked on older Mercedes. "How old?" "1958." "OooOOOohh." I explained to the fellow the situation (car doesn't run, ran two years ago, etc.) and he sounded like it probably wasn't a big issue.

The trick at the moment is, one of the things that would need to be done is to have the gas tank drained out. What gas that is in there has been sitting for two years. Bleh. The Merc has a locking flap over the gas cap - and the key to open it, I don't currently have.

There are a few goodies still in the possession of my cousin, including the main door key, which doubles as a gas flap lock key. Or rather, *was* in his possession, until a couple of hours ago. He just shipped the keys and some other stuff (including the old owner's manual) out to me, and I should be seeing this stuff arrive in a couple of days.



This Friday is Black Friday! Big sales. I'm holding off 'til then and then I'm going to stock up on tools and other related necessities (jack stands, work light, etc).

1 comment:

  1. It’s evident that you had phenomenal progress since you posted this, but I was curious so I went back to where it all started. Yeah, getting the car running is the first order of business because classic car engines are hard to find. Some restore cars with the sole purpose of displaying them, which is another story.

    ReplyDelete