Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Merc arrives.

After waffling for a month or so as far as working out how to get the Mercedes from the Atlanta suburbs (where my cousin lives) to the Denver suburbs (where I live), I finally call one of the transport companies I'd gotten estimates from, and pulled the trigger.

The Mercedes rolled in (or rather, was rolled in) this past Sunday. The old girl doesn't run any longer, but was running up until two years ago, when my cousin parked it in his garage. He didn't crank it for those two years; when he did try, nada.

Annoyingly, the day the car arrived was the day after we had a huge dump of snow, which made wrestling around 3500 lbs. of German steel off the flatbed trailer and into my garage a difficult task. After shoveling a lot of the snow out of the way, it still took five of us (the driver and his two companions, myself, and a neighbor) to muscle the car into my garage.

One of the folks who brought the car in (all Turkish guys of Russian descent, it seems) told me that the car was leaking a bit of oil. The day after the car arrived, I find a massive puddle of oil underneath the car. Why the sudden leak? I suspect something happened during transport - either just the weather, or the moving around after sitting still for two years; something came loose, or a seal cracked, or somesuch.

Now, to make a decision - a) to try and get the car running again or b) to skip that and go right into tearing the sucker down. I'm indecisive by nature; I don't know whether it would be worth the time/effort/expense to get the car running again, when I'm just going to disassemble it in a large way soon anyhow. But, this is something Frank suggested - get it running again so that I *know* it's operable, and before I sink money into restoring it. I imagine that's the wise move.

No comments:

Post a Comment