Monday, November 30, 2009

Sticker shock

Today, I'm learning that if I were to buy all new parts from Mercedes-Benz to replace the bits of the ventilation system I'm currently missing - the heater box (see previous post), and the various connecting bits, clamps, and screens - and still using the main heater core unit I worked on cleaning up yesterday - it will run me about $1200.

Gah.

This is just one small portion of the car - and there's *so much* more to it. Granted, a lot of it is fairly generic - body stripping and repair, paint... but still.

And a lot of it is NOT fairly generic. The whole interior is going to be fun. And I'm certain there will be a fair number of small, seemingly insignificant parts that will be a) hard to find b) pricy c) both.

I'm hoping I can make some connections with some other folks who've been at this for a while - folks who have spare bits lying around they're willing to part with for a decent price. I've already been dealing with a couple of folks, but I don't know how much stuff these guys have access to. Time will tell.

One good bit today - some of the wood dashboard pieces I purchased arrived today! The last piece (the main long dashboard piece) is still en route.


No comments:

Post a Comment